IEDA promotes research data sets as legitimate, internationally-recognized citable contributions to the scientific record. IEDA offers a Data Publication Service that registers scientific data in the DOI® system, making data sets citable as publications with attribution to their investigators as authors. IEDA is a publication agent through the DataCite consortium.
- How to Cite Datasets and Link to Publications (DCC Digital Curation Center)
- ESIP Interagency Data Stewardship/Citations/provider guidelines (Earth Science Information Partners)
- Data Citation Principles (Force11)
- IEDA Data DOI FAQ
How to Cite Data
A dataset can be cited using its DOI. The DataCite recommendation is to use the format:
- Creator (PublicationYear): Title. Publisher. Identifier
To create a link to a data set using its DOI, simply add the DOI to the base URL of http://dx.doi.org/.
For example, a data set registered by IEDA in the DOI system is the Global Multi-Resolution Topography (GMRT) synthesis described by Ryan et al., 2009.
- Its data DOI is 10.1594/IEDA/100001.
- Its citation would be:
Ryan, William B.F. (2009): Global Multi-Resolution Topography (GMRT) synthesis. Integrated Earth Data Applications (IEDA). http://dx.doi.org/10.1594/IEDA/100001
- It can be accessed at the URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.1594/IEDA/100001.
- The data set DOI is different from the DOI for the publication that cites the data set, doi: 10.1029/2008GC002332.
More information is available on the IEDA Data DOI FAQ.
If you are interested in publishing your data through IEDA, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.