IEDA promotes research data sets as legitimate, internationally-recognized citable contributions to the scientific record. IEDA offers a Data Publication Service that registers scientific data in the DOI® system, making data sets citable as publications with attribution to their investigators as authors. IEDA is a publication agent through the DataCite consortium.
- How to Cite Datasets and Link to Publications (DCC Digital Curation Center)
- ESIP Interagency Data Stewardship/Citations/provider guidelines (Earth Science Information Partners)
- Data Citation Principles (Force11)
- IEDA Data DOI FAQ
- Search Data DOIs Published by IEDA
How to Cite Data
A dataset can be cited using its DOI. The DataCite recommendation is to use the format:
- Creator (PublicationYear): Title. Publisher. Identifier. Data Accessed.
To create a link to a data set using its DOI, simply add the DOI to the base URL of http://dx.doi.org/.
For example, a data set registered by IEDA in the DOI system is the P-wave velocity structure from a study of Axial Seamount by Arnulf et al.
- Its data DOI is 10.1594/IEDA/324420.
- Its citation would be:
Arnulf, Adrien, et al., (2018): Three-dimensional P-wave velocity structure of Axial volcano on the Juan de Fuca ridge. Interdisciplinary Earth Data Alliance (IEDA). http://dx.doi.org/10.1594/IEDA/324420. Accessed on 29 March 2018.
- It can be accessed at the URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.1594/IEDA/324420.
- The data set DOI is different from the DOI for the publication that cites the data set.
More information is available on the IEDA Data DOI FAQ.
If you are interested in publishing your data through IEDA, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.